Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Charms of Natasha Richardson

I twice encountered Natasha Richardson in New York City, and she surprised and enchanted me on both occasions. It is common to see celebrities on the street or at various events, but these sightings rarely leave much of an impression. Not so with Ms. Richardson.

I first saw her in the ladies' room at a black-tie event, probably about eight years ago. I was washing my hands when I glanced up and saw Ms. Richardson exiting a bathroom stall. She came and stood beside me, flashed me an incandescent smile, and began to fiddle with her strapless gown. Of course I knew who she was, but New Yorkers quickly learn not to let on that celebrities have been recognized. With an utter lack of self-consciousness she continued to pull at her dress, using her smile and sparkling eyes--yes, her eyes did sparkle--to include me in this battle with her garment. Finally she spoke: "There are bones everywhere in this dress, except where you need them."

At this point, I excused myself. Socially awkward even with close friends, I knew I would not be able to dazzle her with any pithy quips about wardrobe malfunctions. But this seemingly trivial encounter left me with a frothy feeling, a tiny entree into the life of an actress I admired. She may have realized I recognized her, but more likely it never entered her mind; she was just one woman speaking to another in a ladies' room. Ms. Richardson seemed so comfortable in her own skin--if not her evening dress--that she didn't think twice about engaging with a stranger.

I saw her again a few years later, this time with her husband, Liam Neeson, outside a summer black-tie party that was being held in a tent at Lincoln Center in New York. Neeson seemed to be some sort of host at the event and kept leaving the tent to be interviewed for TV cameras. Although she was mostly being ignored, Ms. Richardson sat on a large planter, seemingly patient and content, once in a while looking at her husband with what appeared to be amusement and affection. At one point, in a charming and girlish manner, she took out a compact to touch up her makeup. Somehow she was able to pull this off without appearing to be self-absorbed or narcissistic, as so many women do.

Witnessing this touching scene from a marriage, which went on for an hour or so before some European tourists recognized Neeson and began to make a fuss, gave this New Yorker hope that some relationships are truly happy. Six months later, Ms. Richardson had her accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment